Charles Manson made the news even before the infamous Tate-LaBianca murders. Here’s Beach Boy Dennis Wilson talking about Charles Manson and the family girls in an interview in 1968, a year before the murders.
“I told them about our involvement with the Maharishi and they told me they too had a guru, a guy named Charlie who’d recently come out of jail after 12 years. His mother was a hooker, his father was a gangster, he’d drifted into crime when I met him I found he had great musical ideas. We’re writing together now. He’s dumb, in some ways, but I accept his approach and have learnt from him. He taught me a dance. The Inhibition. You have to imagine you’re a frozen man and the ice is thawing out. Start with your fingertips, then all the rest of you, then you extend it to a feeling that the whole universe is thawing out.”
In 1968 Dennis Wilson picked up two hitchhikers, Patricia Krenwinkel and Ella Jo Bailey. Later Dennis noticed the same two girls hitchhiking again. This time he took them to his home at Sunset Boulevard. Dennis then went to a recording session. When he returned he was met in his driveway by Charles Manson. Dennis became fascinated by Manson and his followers. The Manson Family lived with Dennis for a period of time at his expense, costing Dennis up to $100,000 in money, cars, clothes, food and penicillin shots for the Family’s persistent gonorrhea.
A Recipe For Murder; Short Version
1. Patricia Krenwinkel and Ella Jo Bailey (#14) meet Dennis Wilson.
2. Charles Manson is introduced to Dennis Wilson.
3. Dennis Wilson meets Charles “Tex” Watson.
4. Dennis Wilson introduces Tex Watson to Charles Manson.
5. Dennis Wilson introduces Terry Melcher to Charles Manson.
6. Terry Melcher and girlfriend Candice Bergen live at 10050 Cielo Drive.
7. Manson tried to set up a record contract with Terry Melcher.
8. Dennis Wilson and Terry Melcher cut ties with Manson.
9. Terry Melcher and Candice Bergen move out of Cielo Drive.
10. Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate move in to 10050 Cielo Drive.
A Recipe For Murder Longer Version
Cease To Exist
The documentary ‘Cease To Exist‘ explores the music motive to the Manson murders and uncovers Charles Manson’s relationship with Beach Boys’ drummer Dennis Wilson and record producer Terry Melcher.
This wasn’t the first time Manson made the newspaper before the murders: Nine Nude Hippies Arrested.