Catherine Gillies

Catherine Gillies was a member of the Manson Family. In the summer of ’69 she volunteered to go with the Tate/LaBianca killers on both nights, but Manson told Gillies to stay at Spahn Ranch.

Catherine aka Cappy was one of Manson’s most devoted followers. Cappy joined the family sometime in 1968. When the Manson Family were in need of a new home Catherine told them about a ranch called Myers ranch in Death Valley, owned by Catherine’s grandmother.

Manson gave Catherine’s grandmother a Beach Boys gold record, which Manson took when the Family stayed at Dennis Wilson’s house, in exchange for permission for the family to stay at the ranch.

Suicide or Murder

Catherine was one of the family members present when Manson associate John “Zero” Haught killed himself playing Russian roulette. The police ruled Haught’s death a suicide, however there are indications that Haught may have been murdered.

An anonymous source told the L.A Times that he was there when Haught died. He claimed Haught didn’t kill himself but was shot by one of the Manson girls.


Catherine testified in Judge Older’s courtroom that the Tate/LaBianc murders were copycat murders committed in an attempt to get Beausoleil out of jail.

She testified that Manson had nothing to do with the murders. She also testified that she wanted to go with the Tate/LaBianca killers on both nights, but Manson told her that she wasn’t needed.

I would have gone with them, but didn’t only because they didn’t need me.”


It is reported that to this day Catherine is still upset she was not chosen to go with the killers and she still supports her brothers and sisters in prison.

Today Catherine is divorced, has 4 children and lives somewhere in Oregon.

Catherine Gillies died of cancer on June 29, 2018 in Cave Junction, Oregon.

Sherry Ann Cooper

Sherry Ann Cooper, nicknamed Simi Valley Sherri, was born in 1953 in Simi Valley, California. Sherry Ann Cooper was the girlfriend of Family member Danny Decarlo.

Sherry was a local girl from Simi Valley. She drifted in and out of the Family when the Family stayed at Spahn Ranch. Sherry was arrested with the family during the Spahn Ranch raid.

She moved with the Family to Barker Ranch in Death Valley. Sherry Fled Barker Ranch with Barbara Hoyt after Hoyt overheard Susan Atkins talking about the Tate murder to Ruth Ann Moorehouse.

When Manson found out the two girls had run away he took off after them. He found them having breakfast in a diner and gave them $20 after the girls told Manson they wanted to leave. Story has it that Manson later sent three Family members to retrieve or kill the girls.

150 Stab Wounds

In 1969 an unidentified body (Jane Doe #59) with 150 stab wounds was found at Mulholland Drive. It was rumored that this was possibly the body of Sherry Ann Cooper.

The unidentified body remained a mystery for 46 years but in 2015 police have identified the woman as Reet Jurvetson, who moved to Los Angeles from Montreal the year she was killed.

Murder Trial

In 1970 Sherry’s then boyfriend Decarlo testified against Manson and the Family during the Tate/Labianca murder trial. After the trial Sherry and Decarlo moved to Canada where the two got married.

Death Of Daughter

Sherry and Decarlo had a daughter named Gina who died in a car accident in 1991. From a newspaper article:

Gina Decarlo was traveling as a passenger in a vehicle eastbound on I 10 when the vehicle rear ended a tractor trailer rig. The accident happened April 29, 1991 at 7:00 am. Decarlo was taken to Desert Hospital in Palm Springs CA. She had major head trauma. Decarlo was declared brain dead nine days later and taken off life support.


Sherry and Danny divorced. Sherry moved on with her life and remarried. Today Sherry lives in California under her marital name.

Sandra Good

Sandra Collins Good is a long-time member of the Manson Family and a close friend of Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme. Good’s Manson Family nickname is “Blue”, which was given to her by Charles Manson to represent clean air and water.

Good joined the Manson Family in 1968 and a few months later went off with them when they moved to a new home at Spahn Ranch. Despite her association with Manson and his followers, Good did not take part in the 1969 Tate-LaBianca murders because she was in jail at the time for using stolen credit cards.

However, Good said she respected those who committed the murders and demonstrated her support for Manson during his trial by shaving her head and carving an X on her forehead.

Lynette Fromme X Sandra Good

15 years in prison

In 1975, Good and another Manson devotee, Susan Murphy, were indicted for conspiracy to send threatening letters through the mail by a Federal Grand Jury in Sacramento in connection with death threats against more than 170 corporate executives who Good believed were polluting the earth.

Good was sentenced to 15 years in prison. Good was paroled in early December 1985, after having served 10 years. Unlike many of the Family members, Good still professed total allegiance to Manson. A condition of her parole was that she could not return to California.


After her parole ended, Good moved to Hanford, California, near Corcoran State Prison, to be closer to Manson, although she was not allowed to visit him. In 1996, Good and George Stimson began a pro-Manson website on which they claimed to have a real source of Manson thought.

Sandra Good and Lynette Fromme

Ivan and Joel Pugh

Good has a son named Ivan Pugh. Various men have been named as the father, most notably Joel Pugh, who was found dead in a London hotel room under suspicious circumstances.

Bruce Davis, one of Charles Manson’s closest associates, happened to be in the London area at the time Joel Pugh died. However Sandra Good and Robert Beausoleil have both stated that Beausoleil is Ivan’s biological father. 

Today Sandra Good lives a quiet life in California.

Ella Jo Bailey

Ella Jo Bailey was a former member of the Manson Family. In 1967 Ella Jo Bailey lived in San Francisco. It was there that she met Charles Manson, Mary Brunner, Lynette Fromme and Patricia Krenwinkel.

Bailey became fascinated with Manson and decided to join him. Shortly thereafter, Susan Atkins came into the family and the girls traveled around the southwest with Manson until they moved to Spahn Ranch in 1968.

Bailey stayed with the Manson Family until she found out about the murder of Donald Shea. Bailey left the Family and later testified for the prosecution during the Hinman trial.

Dennis Wilson

Ella Jo Bailey and Patricia Krenwinkel were hitchhiking in Malibu when they were picked up by Beach Boy Dennis Wilson. This encounter eventually led to the murder of Sharon Tate.

150 Stab Wounds

In 1969 a body with 150 stab wounds was found at Mulholland Drive. At one point LAPD thought Ella Jo Bailey might’ve been Jane Doe #59, but, after 46 years, it turned out to be the body of Reet Jurvetson, a Canadian girl who moved to L.A. in ’69.

Ella Jo Bailey died on September 14, 2015 in Florida at the age of 68.

Ella Jo Bailey Hinman Statement

Ruth Ann Moorehouse

Ruth Ann Moorehouse, also known as Ouisch, is a former member of the Manson family. She met Charles Manson for the first time when her father, Deane Moorehouse, a former minister, picked up three hitchhikers, Charles Manson, Lynette Fromme and Mary Brunner and brought them home.

Charles Manson immediately took a liking to young Ruth and he hatched a plan to get her alone. The next day Manson picked her up not too far from her home.

They drove to Mendocino, went to the beach and had sex in his van. While Manson and Ruth were at Mendocino, Ruth’s parents had reported her as a runaway. The cops found them, Manson tried to dissuade the cops not to take Ruth and he was booked for interfering with an arrest.


Manson wanted Ruth to join the family but because of Ruth’s young age Manson recognized the potential trouble he would get if he took her with him. Manson told Ruth she could come with him if she was married and was “her own woman”.

In May 1968, then 16-year-old Ruth married a 23-year-old bus driver named Edward Heuvelhorst in an effort to become emancipated. One day after the marriage Ruth left Edward and joined the Family.

According to Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi’s book, Helter Skelter, Ruth’s father, Deane Moorehouse, went to Spahn Ranch to kill Manson for stealing his daughter. “He ended up on his knees worshiping him.”

LSD Laced Hamburger

During the Tate/LaBianca murder trial Ruth Ann Moorehouse tried to poison fellow family member Barbara Hoyt, who by this time was a prosecution witness. Barbara was unsure about testifying and the family offered her an all expense paid trip to Hawaii if Barbara agreed not to testify.

Ruth and Barbara took the trip to Hawaii where Ruth laced Barbara’s hamburger with ten hits of LSD. When the drugs kicked in Barbara started to freak out and eventually collapsed.

Barbara was brought to the emergency room, the next day Barbara’s mother flew to Hawaii and brought her home. Barbara was determined to testify against the family. Ruth along with four other family members were charged with attempted murder. The charge was later reduced to conspiracy to dissuade a witness from testifying.

Jail Sentence

In ’71 the five family members were given a 90 day jail sentence. Ruth, almost 9 months pregnant, failed to appear at the sentencing hearing and fled to her sister in Carson City, Nevada, to avoid giving birth in jail.

Four days after her arrival Ruth gave birth to a daughter. In 1973 Ruth gave birth to a second daughter, Amber, unfortunately Amber died at age 7. In ’75 the FBI located Ruth in Sacramento. The FBI did not arrest her but did inform Sacramento authorities who subsequently picked her up on the long-standing warrant.

On November 4, 1975 Ruth again appeared in court to be sentenced. The Judge did not give Ruth any jail time, instead he ruled that because she was abandoned by her father and “thrown willy-nilly into the Manson cult” she could go free with time served.

From The Los Angeles Times, 1975:

Ruth Ann Moorehouse, still wearing a bandage over plastic surgery she underwent to remove the forehead X that had marked her as a member of the Manson family, Tuesday made a brief and tearful court appearance in Los Angeles.

With Moorehouse at his side, unsuccessfully trying to fight back her tears, Fitzgerald (Ruth’s lawyer) told the judge that she did not appear for sentencing because she was nine months pregnant at the time.
“The ‘family’ told her she had to shave her head and that she had to have her baby in jail.” Fitzgerald explained “And she wanted none of that.”

Today Ruth lives a quiet life somewhere in Minnesota.